Monday, June 2, 2014

Date Weekend in Brussels

Brussels holds a special place in my heart, as one of the first "vacations" Paul and I took together back when we were just starting to date. We were head-over-heels for each other (or maybe that was just me?) and had planned this little weekend to explore a new city together. This year, right before we leave Switzerland, we planned to visit Brussels one more time for the long weekend. We arrived in the early evening, and hopped a train from the airport to the North train station that was less than a kilometer from our hotel. With a map and directions ready, we wandered our way there. The neighborhood was, well, less than savory. It smelled quite bad, and everything was beat down and dirty. I was a bit weary carrying all my things, especially my expensive camera even if it was put away, but we looked determined and not 100% like lost, wandering tourists so we made it to the hotel without a problem.

We made it out for dinner that night, and again, I was not overly impressed with the city. Everything was a bit grey and grim (not just the sky), but we managed to find a place to eat dinner that looked ok and had decent Belgian beer. It was an early night after a long day, but the beginning of a nice weekend.

The next day, we decided to take it easy, wander a bit, eat more, and more importantly, continue to sample the local beer. First, were the galleries (unfortunately all the shops were closed because it was ascension), but was still as gorgeous as I remember.


 We walked through restaurant row, filled with people trying to get you to sit down an eat for a "good price" (although quality? probably not...). Still, there were lots of interesting colors and angles.


Finally we made it to the square, with gold-trimmed buildings surrounded a large, very crowded square. We still enjoyed just sitting there, people watching, not feeling an ounce of pressure to have to explore or see any sights. As I said, this was just a long date weekend without stress. 



I was looking back at our pictures from our first trip here- my we have aged!


Paul had all the beer last time, now I know better! Some things never change, like our love for Hoegaarden beer. Yum! We were even in the same restaurant as last time :)

 



We certainly ate better this time - oysters and lobster and other delicious things.


 Our last full day was another relaxing day, reading, mussels, fries, beer, chocolate, beer, more fries. What can I say, we like to enjoy our lives! It was my perfect kind of day, with Paul by my side, a good book to read, and beautiful sights to stop and take in throughout the day.









The next morning was our flight home, and a quick taxi and easy stroll through security lead to a no stress travel. I came home relaxed as ever and happy to have gotten a few wonderful days with my favorite person. It made me look forward, now more than ever, to our big upcoming adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Love the old versus new photos! Looks like a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete