Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Other Side of 25

I can't believe it is already May 5th - My birthday! It's the first year I am beginning to feel a little old. For the first year of my life I have a "real" job, I am married, cooking dinner, cleaning the house, and thinking about buying a house in the next few years, then kids soon to follow. Gasp, I am growing up. I am closer to 30 than 20 for the first time. I will admit I am the youngest teacher at my school, and most of my coworkers just laughed when I told them I was turning 26. "You're still such a baby!" they say. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I am not old, but I a getting old. I make old person sounds when I sit down. OOF. When I travel I get annoyed by people who are slow and I would prefer a comfortable place to stay. I remember a time when I was okay with sleeping in bunk beds and on trains, eating tuna from cans and loaves of bread and at this moment that is not appealing. I want comfort and ease and sometimes routine. When I travel for a few weekends in a row, all I look forward to is a nice morning snuggling in bed, drinking my tea and relaxing on my balcony. Is this part of getting old?

So now that I'm a bit older, I wonder what next year will bring. Will I feel a little older, or will I still want to go out and explore? Will I get more entrenched in my routines and my job, or will I still find time to do the things I love and  things that keep me young? I look forward to this time next year.... what things will come?

No comments:

Post a Comment