Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Into the Desert - Part 1

Okay, we are trying to get to the desert. It's not exactly working right now. Instead we are in a bus that might explode with a driver that keeps stopping in the middle of main streets, jumping out, and running away. So far he has always come back. Did I mention the car door is broken and won't open from the inside? We've spent over an hour in this fire-waiting-to-happen and still haven't managed to leave Marrakech. I just hope this van won't be our final method of transport. Only time will tell.

Update:
We have been driven in our rickety old van for a while now, when suddenly it pulled over to a petrol station. "change cars" was all the driver said as he opened the door to let us out. People steamed out of one van and into the other. These mini-buses are much more legit and a bit more trustworthy. I took a quick run to the WC (this time I had tp ready!). Now we are on our new minibus and I am in a not-super comfortable middle seat. Nap time? Yes please!

Last update of the day...
It was a long long trip, without much actual learning. There was a lot more stopping, and the bus driver saying "picture time!" Okay, but what are we taking pictures of? After the tenth stop   - all of which were suspiciously near vendors- I stopped getting out of the car. Like Europe where one church looks like another, so does one sand dune or cluster of old clay houses look like another. It's not that I'm not interested, it's just that I thought a tour guide would tell us where we were going and what we were seeing. Instead of a tour guide we have a driver who likes to stop and drink coffee. I suppose the upside is that he never fell asleep. But i never learned anything and have 20 pictures to prove it. I must say it is interesting to watch the sand change colors and watch the people on the side of the road watching us. 

So we are finally at the hotel with two meals and one sleep between us and the sahara. I'll keep writing, but it might be a while until I find Internet again. Camels, here we come!

1 comment:

  1. HAHA, Adventure... Or something like it... That made me think of my safari driver in the Serengeti, except when my dad wasn't looking he would say something perverted and crass in my ear, creeper!!! HA And for my bathroom stop it was behind the land rover on the dirt road... Okay I don't know about you, but when you've just seen a family of lions charge a heard of zebra, it's tough to pee outside, especially with your perverted driver only a view away from your butt... :) needless to say, I managed to pee maybe once the whole day. I need to travel again! I need to travel with you! Okay I am saving money that's it! Or taking out a loan :)

    ReplyDelete