Friday, June 17, 2011

Driving on the Left

It was our last full day in Jamaica today. We started it off right by both having stomach aches. I guess that is a signal it is time to get home and back to work. I have almost forgot what working feels like! What a nice vacation feeling...


Okay, so back to today. It took us a while, but we packed up, said our goodbyes, and left Great Huts. The drive from Boston Bay to Montego Bay is only 156 miles, but it took us about 4.5 hours (with a gas stop). Now I know I have already ranted about Jamaican drivers but this time it was different. I was no longer in the passenger seat, I was DRIVING. 


Paul kindly drove us through the worst bit, from Boston Bay to Port Antonio. These roads had never before seen road construction and as I have mentioned are completely riddled with potholes. Some of these potholes stretch across the length of the road so there is no avoiding them. Once we had passed Port Antonio the roads got markedly more drivable. Why, do you ask, were these roads better? We asked one Jamaican and he said the Americans had come in and fixed the roads. Wow. So Paul eventually pulled over and wearily let me hop in the driver seat. It is quite funny being in a car when the drivers seat is on the wrong side of the road!


It took me a while to get the hang of staying between the lines when I was sitting (and driving) on the wrong side! Paul kept looking nervously at me as I rode the line on the edge of the road. In my mind, I was more than happy to ride that line. These Jamaican drivers are absolutely insane. Let me give you a few examples of things I saw while driving today. Keep in mind these are not rare occurrence. These types of things have happened EVERY TIME we drive the car somewhere.


1. A car comes to a complete stop in front of you very quickly without hazards or signaling. This car is often a route taxi and will stop several more times over the next half hour. At no time will this taxi signal his stopping.
2. A car will be parked in the middle of the ONE LANE highway after a blind curve. He might be waiting for a friend, or the car might be empty, but it has no even remotely tried to pull off the road.
3. A car pulled over to the side of the road (and by "side" I mean smack in the middle) and is signaling that he is about to pull over, but in reality, he pulls out quickly in front of us.
4. A car pulled over to the side of the road (hah! If they only knew what the word "side" means!) is signaling that he is about to pull out. His wheels are turned into the road. I have to carefully edge around this car because after waiting for an eternity, he does not move.
5. A car, on the wrong side of the road, is in reverse driving backwards in the wrong direction. WTF?
6. I drove the speed limit (almost) the entire way. While going 80km/hr, I get passed on a winding mountain road by several cars going well over 100km/hr. 
7. While minding my own business on my left hand side, a car going the opposite direction is trying to pass a slower car also doing the opposite direction. I am forced to drive on the shoulder because the passing car cannot get over in time.
8. In every city, people, cars, bikes, goats and dogs seem to have no sense for the road. They walk out in the road without looking, open their car doors and seem genuinely oblivious.
9. Small school children stand in clusters by the side of the highway. They fake push each other in front of the cars. My heart nearly jumps out of the road.
10. Lines in the middle of the road seem to be more like general guidelines. After ascending and descending a hill, I nearly have 2 head-on collisions with cars that are on my side of the road. Yet more proof everyone should drive on the right.


Unfortunately, the list goes on and on. I watched cars run red lights, honk for several continuous miles and more. Never in my life have I ever been to a country so full of completely incompetent drivers. What is even worse is that there are loads off police officers that seem to do nothing about it. The rampant disregard for any type of law makes me cautious to return.


Don't get me wrong, this has been a very memorable honeymoon, and the best part was spending it with my lune de miel (Paul!) But we are quite bitten, and tired of being perpetually damp. It makes me long for my big, dry bed, my en suite bathroom, and my large grocery store with fruit and vegetables galore. We really are quite lucky, and we forget that sometimes. 


And so our honeymoon comes to an end. We fly out tomorrow at 11:50am. It will be a long travel day, and if we can get internet at the Philadelphia airport, I may just post another update. Until then I will enjoy our first night with air-conditioning and four solid walls to keep the mozzies out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment