Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cambridge and the Art of Waiting and Losing Things

After our relaxing Cornwall and Bristol break, Paul and I packed up our stuff (again) and headed out for the next stop on our trip - Cambridge! We decided to visit our dear friend Camellia, who works there, but used to live with us in Switzerland. She always comes to us, so we thought it only fair we go to her this time.

So, after saying our sad and heartfelt goodbyes to the Metsons, we drove our little rental car back to the airport to drop it off and catch the bus to Bristol Temple Meads, to catch the train to London and on to Cambridge. This would be our first real Carrying All Our Stuff trial. Let me tell you, it wasn't too pretty. I've all but forgotten how to take on and off my big backpack, and with my special travel vest full of things in the millions of pockets, getting everything on and off was a bit of a mess (good news, I am already getting the hang of it!).

We arrived at Temple Meads train station 20 minutes early, enough time to pick up snacks and relax a few minutes. Getting somewhere early is the key not to being stressed. Unfortunately for us, the English rail system is nowhere near as efficient as the Swiss rail system (are any of my readers surprised?). 20 or so announcements came over the loudspeakers apologizing for the ever-later arrival of the service. this would be our first, of many lessons of waiting.
 

Finally, 25 minutes later than its original departure time, our train arrived and we hopped onto our train. The rest of the journey to London Paddington was uneventful, and Paul and I picked up our things and started looking for the Underground to connect to London's Kings Cross.

About five minutes into the walk to the Underground, disaster struck.

I looked at Paul with his big and small backpacks and empty hands. Then I looked down at myself, big and small backpacks and empty hands.  Where was our bag of pillows?

Still on the train, was the answer.

I dropped my big bag and small bag and sprinted up the stairs and back to our original platform. Luckily, the train was still there. I frantically (and thankfully in English) described a ticket attendant what had happened, and he let me through without a problem. Still sprinting as I heard last call on the platform, I found a conductor and asked them not to pull out until they saw me. He nodded and I didn't wait any longer. Once back on our carriage, it was packed with people, and I had to push and say "excuse me" and "sorry" a million times before finding our bag of pillows. Triumphant, I pushed my way back out of the train, and stepped off, the doors shutting immediately behind me and the train pulling out. I have no idea where that train was going, and without phones to contact each other, what would have happened if it pulled out with me on it? Yikes.

Now would it have really been a disaster if we lost our pillows? Not really. We would just buy new ones for our Africa trip. But it was a lesson in paying attention to what you have and double checking your space before you leave anywhere.

We took the Underground to Kings Cross, then the next train and arrived at Cambridge without further ado.

Our time in Cambridge was absolutely lovely. I honestly had no idea what a tourist attraction the place was. Our first full day we spent wandering around the curvy streets, packed with tourist groups (mostly children) on English language courses. The campus is gorgeous, but I'm not sure I would have been comfortable going to school with people always peeking into the school grounds. We also took a tour of the back of the Cambridge Colleges on a boat, they call it punting. It looks like hard work so I was grateful to be snuggled into the boat, just taking in the sights, and of course, taking pictures. More wandering ensued after the punting, and we found a nice park to rest in. Being a tourist sure is exhausting! After dinner we all went home to fall into exhausted heaps.


 











The rest of our time in Cambridge was last minute things to pick up and do. Thanks to some helpful suggestions from friends and family, we feel very prepared and we (hope) we've done everything we need to. Cam was lovely and met us for dinner one day and lunch the next, even though she was working! We are lucky to have such a wonderful friend.

Right before we were leaving Cambridge to return to London to wait out our flight, disaster struck again. Our Air B&B host had offered us a ride to the airport, and I realized our newly-bought-works-in-every-country phone had disappeared! My only idea was a internet coffee shop that we had used to print a few documents that had large, squishy, smooshy seats. Our host dropped by there on the way to the train station so I could look. Luckily, it was there, wedged between the cushions. Only 2 days in and 2 things lost - but both amazingly found! I doubt we will be so lucky in the future.

My favorite thing - a fan!
Paul guarding the bags on the underground
The trip back to London was mainly uneventful, except for the fact that it took so much waiting. Paul found the AirB&B key in his pocket (oops), and I found my GPS, both which needed to be sent in the post. It was our second time in the post office that day, and there was so. much. waiting. Then onto the Picadilly Line. Then realizing we are on the wrong branch of that line. Off the line, back on another train absolutely smashed with people. Ugh. An uncomfortable 40 minute trip ensued. Then off at Heathrow, and on to the Hotel Hoppa shuttle. An 8 minute journey that took 30 minutes. More waiting, and finally arriving to our hotel. Phew.

Now today is the day I have been waiting for for 10 years, and specifically for the last 7 months since we bought our plane tickets. Our flight to Nairobi is at 8:45 tonight, so we've got all morning to double check, rest, workout, eat, shower, and think about our trip. It feel surreal, as each minute ticks by and the trip gets a minute closer. I almost don't want it to start because I know it will blink by in a nanosecond. I just have to remember to take deep breaths, live in the moment, and enjoy every second, no matter how fast it goes. On the other end of this adventure is another exciting adventure - Scotland and our house! I couldn't be a happier person.

No comments:

Post a Comment