Sunday, October 27, 2013

Krakow Day 1 - Salt Mines and Auschwitz

I'm sorry this post is so late, but so many things have happened lately and life moves so quickly that I fell a little behind. But I don't want to miss this post, because it was a very beautiful and moving weekend.

Paul had been on conference for a week in Krakow, so I joined him over the 3 day weekend. I had never been to Poland, but my last name is Polish and Paul's grandpa had come from Poland, so I was always interested in going.

My arrival was not as smooth as Paul's was. We had both booked the same driver to take us to the hotel because we were arriving past midnight, and we didn't speak any Polish. WhenPaul arrived the driver was there with his name on a board. When I arrived there was a man with the name "Elizabeth" on a board. So I gave him my hotel details and got in. He said "No English", and started driving. 5 minutes later he got a phone call. He slammed on the brakes, pulled a u-turn, and raced back to the airport, yelling at me in Polish the whole time. We arrived, he jumped out, threw out my suitcase, and shooed me away. I was absolutely mystified and on the verge of tears. I was in the middle of nowhere, with no transport system and no Polish. A woman walked up to the taxi, and saw how upset I was and asked how she could help (in perfect English!) I explained what had happened with the taxi, and she spoke with the driver for a minute. Then she informed me that this was her taxi (she had the booking with the taxi's name on it), but that she would make sure I got into town alright. She found the last taxi available, asked about the fare, then told me that it was a registered taxi and he wouldn't try to scam me. I was relieved but still anxious. Here I was in a strange country, not able to speak or understand anything in Polish, getting into a car with someone I didn't know. I didn't really have a choice, so I put in my bags and got in. It took us about 20 minutes, but I was able to call Paul to let him know what happened. He was worried because it was taking me so long to get to the hotel (to be honest, I was really worried too). Finally, I arrived at our hotel, and I was so relieved to see Paul. It was a shaky start, but I was grateful for the kind woman who took the time to help me.

We had decided previously to book a very full-on day our first day. We were to have a salt mines tour in the morning, and a visit to Auschwitz and Auschwitz 2- Birkenau in the afternoon. Although this meant we were touring from 9am-8pm, it also meant we would have a full day on Sunday to do anything that we wanted. The Salt mines were famous in Krakow (even though I hadn't heard of it before I got there!)




We arrived on a beautiful, clear blue morning, got our tickets, and waited in the long tour group line. 

 The stairs to walk down (hundreds and hundreds of them!)


 It was quite dark down there, but you can see some statues.







As you can see, everything down here is pretty much made for tourists. There are many chapels (and people get married in them!), and sculptures made of salt, and chandeliers made of salt. Above is the pictures of the largesr chapel, with everything (including the floor and stairs) made of salt. Is was pretty impressive thinking that everything is underground.

After the salt mines, we had an hour or so break to have lunch. This is when I discovered it, the AMAZINGNESS of the food in Poland. I was so incredibly hungry, that we choose a restaurant right near where the bus let us off. The menu looked reasonable and we went in. Although it looked fancy, the prices were decent and the food was so, so, so good. There will be more thoughts about food. I LOVED their food.

Okay, after lunch we got back in the mini bus and were driven about an hour away to Auschwitz. I was mentally preparing myself, because the last concentration camp I visited (Dachau) I had cried for the last half of the tour. I was also inconsolable at the holocaust memorial in Israel. And here I was, going to one of the most famous, and deadly of all concentration camps. We arrived quickly, and the weather, grey and rainy, was very fitting. Our guide was knowledgable, and we moved from the entrance to the barracks.

The brick barracks where prisoners were kept. They had recreated some of the conditions, and it was terrifying. I didn't take pictures inside, but one of the buildings had showed the pictures on the walls that the Nazi's had taken of each prisoner back when they took meticulous records. We learned so much more, but you really have to be there to see it.

Gates above to keep the prisoners inside - with a space for guards to walk between the gates.  Our next visit was into a crematorium, where we were inside the "showers" (gas chambers) where they poisoned groups of people, then walked into the room with the actual cremation took place. I felt sick, and I couldn't breath, and I was so happy to walk out and into the open air. I know too many people never left that room.


Auschwitz II - Birkenau is actually the more infamous death camp. Because the officials thought that Auschwitz I was not suitable for mass killings, they expanded into this camp. Every day, trains of people arrived here, onto this platform and half of them were sent straight to death. Sometimes whole trains were just murdered on their arrival. They would be marched toward the woods (straight ahead) where the crematoriums were hidden, told they were taking a shower, then gassed to death and cremated. All children and the elderly were immediately gassed.


People still come and leave roses everywhere.


The main entrance to Auschwitz II-Birkenau


The type of rail cars that was used for the transportation of people to Auschwitz. They estimate that 1.1 million people died in these camps. Although it is horrific and sad, I think it is important that people continue to visit, continue to learn, about the holocaust. We can never forget, and never let history repeat itself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment