Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday turned Funday (or Dancing in the Rain)

Look at me, two posts in one day. 


This day started out frustrating and exhausting but has taken a strange turn for the better. Maybe it is me and Paul's celebration of our Tequila Anniversary. Maybe it is the fact I got to talk to three of my favorite people today (thank you president's day!), or maybe it is the 3 very tiny glasses of red wine I have had. Either way, it is 22:19, I am nearly ready for bed and stumbled across this quote:


and it brought me back - all the way until I was 16. I went to boarding school for a year. It was based in Vermont but we also lived in Costa Rica, Greece and West Virginia. The second week we were at school it was absolutely pouring rain from the sky. It felt like bucket after bucket was being dumped on the ground outside my dorm in Vermont. Remember, I was young and impulsive back then. So I took off my shoes, ran out the door, and danced in the rain. I danced to my own music, my own beat, and was completely soaked in 5 minutes. I was loving it. 

Then I stepped on a big sharp rock and bruised my heel. Okay, not the best ending. But the fact that this brief, strong memory has stuck with me for the last 9 years says something. I don't often dance in the rain. It is cold and then I get wet, and I am no longer a child that lets my mom clean my clothes up for me. Dancing in the rain never sounds very fun, but at 16, I couldn't think of anything better than that. It's clear to me that I don't dance in the rain enough - if I did this memory wouldn't be that easy to recall, it would be clouded with all the other times I danced in the rain. Most of the time I think that sunshine is happiness. It is warm, comfortable, clean and easy. This weekend, sitting on the piste in my t-shirt and snowboarding clean and easy I was loving the sunshine. I guess its good to remember that every now and then it is good to dance in the rain :)


No comments:

Post a Comment