Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Eve and Growing Up

Guess where I am? In the kitchen waiting for my Tajine de Poulet to finish cooking. So I figured I had a few minutes to put up a post that I have been thinking about for a few days.


This year for New Years, like the previous 2 years, we joined several of our other friends who live all around Switzerland to eat, drink, and play games. The last 2 New years everyone has slept over (no designated drivers!) and my New Year's Day has always been a little rough. This New Year's Eve diverged from that formula, and I had to ask myself - is this what it is like to get old?


We arrived as our friends were setting food on the table. One of my friends showed me the new pot he and Amanda had just bought. I was actually excited about it - clue #1.


The dinner was amazing, my friends Amanda and Jonas are great cooks and we always end up with something delicious. We had a glass of wine with dinner - the beginning of a great night. After dinner we helped clean then sprawled around the apartment to chat to various friends who we hadn't seen for varying amounts of time. We eventually played a dancing game (maybe we aren't getting old?) that was quite a lot of fun.


Before we knew it, it was 11:53. Almost midnight! We poured champagne, and missed the midnight countdown by a few minutes because someone was playing the dancing game. We cheered and hugged and I gave my sweetie a kiss. 


Not soon after, my roomie, his girlfriend and Paul decided to call it a night. One of our friends, Heather, had decided not to drink. So they drove home and I stayed with my friends at the house. I still kind of felt like the party was over. The rest of us stayed up and played, talked, and drank a bit more (bit not much). My liver gets tired too easily. 


We went to bed about 4am - not bad - and we were all up by 10ish the next morning. No hangover in sight. That is good news, but also a little bit of sadness. As my youth moves further and further in my rearview mirror, I am torn between emotions. I am sad that I am getting what I deem as "old". I am also excited about all the exciting "adult" moments I get that are coming up in the future. I guess I should keep my eyes on the road and remember that no matter how much I want things to stay the same, life will always be changing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment