Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blindsided

I'll start with a line from my favorite song -

"Don't worry about the future. Or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindsides you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday"


Or in my case, at 5pm on an Idle Friday, and then again on Sunday. It all started with a quick run up a steep hill to catch a bus that doesn't run often. I had just spent 12 hours prepping for classes that were starting on Monday. I was excited to get back to normal life, normal classes, a routine and a schedule. Then I ran up that hill and a terrible pain shot through my lower abdomen. Of course, I had missed the bus. I hobbled to the bus stop and waited uncomfortably for 15 minutes until the next bus. The normally short walk to my apartment from the bus stop was interminal. I got home with tears in my eyes. Paul and my two flatmates wanted to take me to the hospital. I completely refused, as I remembered how expensive and pointless the last trip to the CHUV had been. I slept precariously that night, ready to start some more prepping the next day.


I got a call from a a friend who with very few words was able to convince me to go to see a doctor. With another friend's help, we visited a clinic and saw a doctor. The news was not good- a 6cm cyst had formed in my ovary and twisting my fallopian tube. The doctor wanted to operate that day. After a few quick phone calls to Paul and the insurance company, we agreed and made the appointment.


At 5pm I was all checked in and prepped for surgery. I said a good bye to Paul and headed to the operating theater. I tried to make a few jokes, was given "big warm socks" to keep my legs warm, and they started the anestesia. Two hours later I woke up fine - no complications. They had made 4 holes in my abdomen and through my muscles. Moving was difficult. I spent 2 days in the hospital with my nice, coughing, grandmas and then I was ready to move home. I thought it would all get better from there.


On Sunday my parents called me at an unusually early hour in California. I was playing Guillatine with Matt and Paul and absolutely whopping them. The number came in as "blocked" and I almost didn't answer it. My parents were on the phone together. They started with, "We have some bad news...." a phrase no one ever wants to hear. They kept talking but I couldn't breathe. I must have been hyperventilating. I eventually shuffled to my bedroom to cry somewhere private. All I could do was think about how I had thought seriously about flying in just after New Years to surprise grandpa, but that I had been exhausted, I had a lot of work to do, and it was expensive. Paul said if I wanted to go he would support me. He had even asked, "Will you regret if you don't go?" My answer was 100%. I regret it now more than ever. 


My parents told me they were flying in that day, and would let me know as soon as they had a date. They told me to get better so I could fly. I stifled my crying and agreed to get better. The next evening and day were unbearable - I was in physical pain from the surgery, and emotional pain from my grandpa's passing. Finally I was given a date - be in by Tuesday. I booked a flight immediately and packed my things. I got clearance from my doctor to fly, picked up more pain meds, and just waited for the day to go.


Tuesday morning came early, and with a ride to the train station, I made it on my train to Zurich airport. I checked my bag, and asked about early boarding. I explained that I had just had surgery, but because of a death in the family I was traveling. She explained how to ask at the gate and I walked away. Then I heard heels clicking on the floor behind me. The nice lady chased me down, and asked if I needed a wheel chair. I definitely did. She set everything up, and led me to a waiting area. From there, I made it through the airport via cart & wheelchair, much quicker and with less hassel than ever before. 


The plane ride was quick and easy - I had a bulkhead seat next to a window and a very nice, helpful girl next to me. I tried not to move much, and reclining made it almost comfortable. In Chicago they were waiting with a wheelchair. I got into America quickly and met my parents. It felt good to be back in their company, but we were all sad for the reason we were there. I've got 6 days here, and I hope to do some recovering from everything that blindsided me. I guess it is really true - there is no reason to worry, because you never know what's coming for you. You just have to deal with things as they come, one after another. 



No comments:

Post a Comment