Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Joy of Cooking

It's 19:11 on a Sunday evening. A new week is about to begin, and what am I doing? I'm standing in the kitchen making up a delicious meal of sauteed lamb, steamed green beans, pasta and garlic cream sauce (from scratch!). In the past 1.5 years of being a wife (actually today is my 1.5 year anniversary!) I have become a little cooking/baking fiend. How did this happen?


My mom is not what you would call the most enthusiastic cook. She made some delicious meals when I was growing up (tasty meat buns, countless casseroles, chili and cornbread, the list goes on and on), but dinner time was not the time she looked forward to most during the day. I think she is incredibly thankful that the time in her life when she has to make other people meals is over. She still cooks sometimes when I visit home, but her and dad eat salads and easy to make foods. 


I seem to be completely the opposite. I love to feed people. I love trying new recipes. I LOVE cooking. I get to be in the kitchen, alone, listening to bad music, singing, and making something delicious. And I get to share this deliciousness! I couldn't think of anything better. I find recipes all the time, save them, and look forward to the free hour when I get to try them out. It's like art, but much more useful. I am working on making healthy meals, but there are also so many delicious baked goods out there, that they balance each other out. 


I have tried several times to blog about the food I make. Last weekend I made egg drop cups - basically little omelettes in baking cups. I also made chocolate chip cookies - yum! The problem is, I always end up enjoying the food and then getting busy with something else and forgetting to write. 


Later this week I will be making chocolate peanut butter brownies. Will I find the time to write about it, or will I be too involved in my eating? Only time will tell :)

1 comment: