Sunday, October 2, 2011

Family Time

I am back in the international departure lounge at Chicago O'Hare Airport. I have decided this is the absolute worst departure lounge out of anywhere I have ever waited in. There is no Starbucks, there are no restaurants, there are no BARS. There IS a little kiosk that is labeled "Bar", that has a few bottles of not very cold beer. I can also buy Cheezits or trail mix. Whoo hoo. This is what I need for my last few hours in America.


Anyways.


This past weekend was amazing. First, I spent Rosh Hashanah with my Aunt Sunny and Uncle Sherm at their condo in Chicago. We had lots of delicious Jewish food - Challah, Gefilte fish, stew, it was a delicious meal. We were also celebrating my grandma and grandpa's 68th wedding anniversary. Now that is a LONG time to be married to each other. And grandpa is still totally head over heels for grandma. I can only hope Paul and I will end up like that. 







Friday mom and dad and I drove to Lafayette, Indiana to get ready for the wedding the next day. After a futile search for Sushi for lunch, we gave up and headed to our hotel. That evening was the rehearsal dinner and it was so fun to see the cousins again. I forget how great it is to just chat with my cousins who are all older, wiser, and with the same terrible sense of humor as me. My cousin David and I went over to Dave and Cassie's place to spend a bit more time with the bride and groom. By the time we had headed home, David and I found out how much fun it is to drive down a completely unlit country road. Let me tell you, it is NOT fun. But we made it, and that was important.




Before I knew it, it was wedding day! My parents and I with Jasmine (Chris's girlfriend) went on a quick trip to Target. I was overwhelmed and loving it. I bought brown sugar, pumpkin pie mix, cough syrup, a warmer dress and hat, pens, big paper clips, clip boards, duct tape and more things that are not sold in Switzerland. There's nothing like importing office supplies! I bought a warmer dress because I had come to Switzerland with a skanky dress not realizing that the reception would be in an unheated barn. I bought a warm sweater and tights too. I would be prepared for the cold!


Now it was time for lunch, and Sushi! We visited two sushi places, both closed for lunch. I was in despair. Then Jasmine came to the rescue. She used her magic smartphone to find an open Sushi place. It was perfect and made my day. We then rushed home to get ready for the wedding. 


I'll spare you the tale of getting lost on the way to the wedding. But I promise, we did get lost. And we didn't even take a mom short-cut! Luckily we were not the last ones there, and we rushed into our seats. 





Finally grandma and grandpa arrived as well, and the ceremony started. Dave walked grandma down the aisle, and the grandparents were tucked under blankets in the front row. Dave and his groomsmen took their places, then the bridesmaids walked down the aisle. 
















Finally a car carrying Cassie pulled up. She stepped out and looked perfect and glowing. I almost started crying right there. 


She joined Dave at the altar, and the ceremony began. It was the fastest service ever. They exchanged their rings and said their vows - sweet, written heartfelt and funny vows. 






Dave and Cassie have been together in my mind forever. Seven years. 
Cassie has just always been my cousin - another part of our awesome, crazy, weird family.





  It was so touching to see them put their hearts out there and make it legal. I admit, I cried a few times. As quickly as it started, the service was over and they walked back down the aisle. 

After hugs and pictures, the family and friends headed back up to the barn. It was beautifully decorated with lights, vines, and string balls. The beer and wine was flowing, the music was good, and I got to sit with grandma and grandpa. 



Me and Grandma!


Me and Grandpa
KISS!!! KISS!!!


The cute newlyweds :)

Yep, I have an awesome family

And a super duper mommy

And a fantastic dad


LOVE the cake! Great idea!



After the nonagenarians went home, I got to dance with all my favorite cousins and family. Weddings are such a beautiful celebration of love and family and I am so lucky I got to come and spend time with everyone.
 


When and where will the next wedding be? Hopefully I will be able to come and share my love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment