Sunday, October 2, 2011

Across the Atlantic


Surprise surprise. I am on another plane crossing over the Atlantic. I spent 4 days making detailed sub plans, completing school assignments, and preparing for this quick 5 day jaunt to Chicago. The last few weeks have passed by in a complete blur. One day runs into another and there is never enough time in the day. In a way, that is a good thing. I am doing a lot, learning a lot, gaining experience. But in another way I just want things to slow down a little. I used to think all the time (and sometimes still do), “I can’t wait for this thing or that thing to happen!” I spent a lot of time looking into the future. I guess most children do. They wonder what they will be doing after they finish school, where they will end up and who they will end up with. Right now is the time I have always been dreaming about and it is moving too fast. Right now on this plane I get to slow down a little. I don’t have to rush from one job to another or log online to write another long grad paper. I have watched 2 movies, finished putting thank you cards into their envelopes, and get a breather to just think. I’ve got 3 more hours before I land and I’ve already thought, “what should I do next?” I am not so good at this thinking and relaxing.

This is one of the reasons I love training for a marathon. You have to do these long two, three, four hour runs. Other than listening to music or talking with a friend, you have lots of thinking time. I went for a training run Sunday night. I probably ran about 16 kilometers and was in that daze where I don’t really notice I am running and I am instead completely lost in my thoughts. I had about an hour left of running before I got back home and it was late and dark so I was running with a headlamp. Suddenly I was approached by another runner who at first scared the bejeezus out of me. Then he explained that he had forgotten his headlamp and wanted to know if I was going back to Lausanne. I said yes and we started off. I proceeded to spend the next hour speaking completely in French and barely even noticing I was running. Although this doesn’t count as “thinking” time, the run was a good mix of thinking and learning. After finishing the run I was amazed at myself. I just held an hour long conversation in French. This is something I never thought I could do. Learning another language is so difficult and I sometimes feel like I am making up words when I speak. That makes me think even more about what we are capable if only we apply ourselves and put in enough practice time.

Now I will spend a bit more time thinking before I arrive in Chicago and go back into fast forward with family and friends. I guess I am grateful that I have so many wonderful things that pass my time. Bring it on Chicago! 

No comments:

Post a Comment