Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Melange of Thoughts

So, it's been a while. I keep meaning to write but there is no focus to my writing. So I put it off and put it off. And I have a million other things to do. What have I been doing, you ask?

  • Writing the kindergarten curriculum for Forest Trail Academy
  • Prepping for my classes (Year 3 history, science, art, English, Year 4 & 5 Advanced English, Preschool English immersion)
  • Writing graduate papers
  • Running
  • Cleaning
  • Wash 
  • Rinse
  • Repeat
Let's be fair here and mention I took mucho vacation this summer. But that is why I am a teacher! I GET the vacation. But not with multiple jobs- I am always working.

So looking ahead. Tomorrow should be a great day. I am taking advantage of the fact that I live in Switzerland and that a friend is passing through to go for a day-long hike. It should be a good day. I am staying the night on a mountain hostel then coming back Friday for new teacher orientation. Phew. I am tired. Are you tired?

I have been thinking lots of things lately. Most of it is a melange (is that an English word?). First, I think about the role technology plays in our life. Sometimes I curse it - my computer seems to control me - and other times I love it - like when I get to skype my friends and family. 

I have also been thinking that maybe I have taken on too much. Is anyone in this crowd of 3 who reads this blog surprised? I am not. I KNOW I take on too much and I continue to do it. I am a consistent over-achiever and I can't stop myself. Plus I love all of my opportunities right now. Which one would I say no to? It would be too difficult to say.

Next, I am thinking about planning. Not a single plan, but planning in general. As much as I try to plan my life, we really have no idea. Will I be here for 1 year? For 4? Will I go to America? England? Scotland? Netherlands? Canada? I have to be honest and say I have no idea. We will go where jobs take us. So why plan, and then end up disappointed when the plans don't turn out? Better to go where the wind blows and take each opportunity as it comes.

Finally, I went to see the fireworks in Geneva last weekend. They were absolutely amazing, better than most American 4th of July celebrations. But between these amazing beautiful displays of light, I could hear the ducks and swans (and babies!) squacking and quacking for dear life. They were frightened out of their minds. What were these incredibly loud sounds? Was their world falling to pieces? I know they are just animals, but I felt terrible for them anyways. Then I started thinking about all the things in life that we do - they might be pretty and flashy - that cause a frightening or disrupting bang in someone else's life. The worst part is we never even know it so we can't fix it. Just something to think about.

Now it's late (as always) and I've got an early train to Grimmelwald. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment