Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Old Friends and New Adventures

Nine years ago, I was lucky enough to be a camp counselor at the incredible Gold Arrow Camp (wadda wadda wadda wa, my favorite camp, wadda wadda wadda wa, no other camp, wadda wadda wadda wa, will ever beeeeeee, EEEEEEE!). As my first co-counselor, I was assigned a girl camp-named Emerald and real-named Deanna (my camp-name was Rosy). We hadn't gotten to know each other during the week initiation, or bonded in any way, but within days our our first session we were inseparable. We both had boyfriends and so stayed out of the camp drama. We were down-to-earth, reasonable, and I found her so easy to talk to. The next two camp sessions we were separated while we begged -BEGGED- to be together again. The last session our wish was granted and we had a blast. We dressed as crazy aliens for dancing (blue hair and all!) and did every activity we could. Young and carefree, we lived it up! Then camp ended and we didn't see each other for nine more years.

Our lives moved on, connected by the thin string of Facebook. She married her boyfriend that she had had during camp (lovely Mark) and I met, then married, Paul. Life continued at its orderly march, and still, we were not what you'd call in-touch. I followed her life passively as she had one gorgeous baby and then another. Then I started planning this trip and asked her if we could visit her while we were there. She replied with an enthusiastic YES! Was I hesitant? Maybe a bit, as it had been nine years. But she was the kind of person that you could never forget, the kind of person you always hope you will stay friends with. So after one night in Sydney to see the opera house and walk across the Harbor Bridge, and then watch Gone Girl, we drove to meet her and her girls at the Reptile Park just a touch north of Sydney.


 

Two amazing, bright eyed little ladies waited with their even more gorgeous mother, and it was like it had been just a minute ago that we left camp. We got to watch an interesting animal show with her girls (a chameleon and a baby alligator!), right in front of us!


Her oldest one, Charlotte, held the tail of a boa constrictor (brave girl!) and then we all got pictures with a koala. The koala was so soft, and wanted nothing more than to be left alone and eat its delicious leaves.


 

 

 The girls enthusiastically showed us around the park, and we got to see some incredibly beautiful creatures. We fed kangaroos and gazed at crocodiles.



Taking a picture with the kangaroo!



I was lead into the spider house, and then the snake house and they loved all the scaly, scary animals and I loved them for it. Then Charlotte turned to me sweetly and asked, 'Can we have a sleepover tonight?' Who can say no to a face as angelic as this one?


We had a delicious, home-made dinner at their beautiful family home. With an incredible view and space for everyone, it was nice to have a little rest after so much traveling. Deanna was everything I had remember - sensible, honest, interesting, kind, and a lovely person all around. Mark, who I had never met but heard so much about, was everything Deanna had said he was and more. After the girls had baths and came down to say goodnight, we all stayed up chatting for a bit. I could have talked to them all night and all week if we had had the time. We talked about the girls and life after children and living in Australia. Then, at a sadly early hour, we were all yawning and exhausted. Paul mad I fell into a grateful heap in their comfy spare bed.

The next day I was woken bright and early by the sweetest little voices. I got to have breakfast with Charlotte, Emmaline (the little one), and Deanna while Paul got a few more winks. We had a pleasant, calm morning and I got the chance to catch up with Deanna a bit more and see their photo books (I am a sucker for cute pictures) and spend time with the girls. It was getting late in the day, so we took Charlotte to school and then spent just a bit more time with Deanna and Emmy at the Japanese gardens.


 
We got to see a little slice of normal, Australian life with a wonderful friend. Tea with coloring and then the gardens, and then an art gallery! Such a peaceful morning! We then said our drawn out goodbyes before Paul and I headed off on our road trip. Although it was a quick visit, it was my favorite part of Australia. I hope it isn't another 9 years until we get the chance to catch up (in person or otherwise), as good people like her and Mark and their beautiful daughters are hard to find. Their hospitality and kindness - even after so long without contact! - remind me why it's so important to make time for people you care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment