Sunday, March 24, 2013

Excited about India!

3 days, 14 hours and 50 minutes until I board my flight to Delhi, India. Traveling to India has always been one of those dreams I've had. It was a dream that I never believed would come true after getting married so young (24), and then kids in the nearish future, and Paul's dislike of anything remotely warm and filled with mosquitoes (who can blame him?) I just figured... oh, I'll do that when I'm old or just scratch it off the list. I know I'm very lucky and I've been able to travel quite extensively and missing India wouldn't have been such a big deal. But then over December, I realized that I get a 2.5 week break, and that's a pretty good amount of time to spend traveling somewhere new, somewhere exciting, somewhere like.... INDIA!

And so the planning began. If you know me, you know that I really get into things when I am excited. So for months I spent time planning, organizing, and reading everything I could get my hands on about India. I got a partner in crime to agree to join me in India (yay!) So we slowly but surely built up our itinerary using Seat 61 - the best train travel site around. Train tickets bought, the accommodation was next. I read and reread comments on TripAdvisor and Hotels.com and HostelWorld.com and any other website I could get my hands on. After nearly a month of building up lists and narrowing it down, I chose hotels and B&Bs with the highest ratings, free train station pick up, free breakfast and a nice, Indian family in charge. I made other purchases too - I bought this anti-theft handbag and this sterilising water bottle. In the last days running up to India, Paul helped me purchase some pepper-spray to help his peace of mind. On top of all this I have a medical kit the size of my head and travel insurance so good I can get airlifted back to Switzerland and not pay a dime. I always think it's better to overplan and over-prepare to help things go smoothly. I'd much prefer not to need any of these things, but if I do, at least they're there.



I'd like to think that all this planning gives me a little credit. I didn't just decide, "I'm going to India!" and then arrive there thinking I would figure it out on the way. I know I've got to be careful, be alert, and plan the best I can. And yet, all I've gotten from EVERYONE I've told I'm going to India is raised eyebrows and quite a few lectures. I know it has to do with all of the recent media explosions about rape cases and women's safety issues. I read every article about India, so I KNOW. I'm not taking it lightly (hence, all the planning). I also won't let fear stop me from going to a place I have always dreamed of. I think there are places which are challenging to travel through (like India), and places that are dangerous (most middle eastern countries, no thanks). And although India will be a real challenging adventure (not a vacation), I am ready for it. 4 months of research and years of anticipation have lead me to this point in my life. And now in 3 days, 14 hours and 30 minutes I'll be there, living my dream.

Now just picture me in this picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment